Over time, our daily habits can lead to the loss of a bright white smile. Coffee, tea, red wine, and tobacco can all contribute to us losing our radiant smiles. When looking to recapture your natural smile, teeth whitening may be the right option for you.
Teeth whitening or teeth bleaching is a popular way to make your teeth whiter and brighter. It is a safe and non-invasive procedure that lightens the color of teeth’s enamel.
Several treatment options exist for home whitening or dental office teeth whitening. Talk to your dentist today to find out which treatment option is right for you.
What to expect with teeth whitening services?
In-office teeth whitening is the preferred method for those looking for immediate results. In about 2-3 hrs, patients can start to achieve their desired results.
There are several steps to the in-office procedure:
- Teeth are polished to remove any plaque or debris that has accumulated on the teeth’s surface or in between the teeth,
- A protective sealant is applied to the soft tissue surrounding the treatment area for protection.
- A bleaching gel containing hydrogen peroxide is applied for the specified treatment time.
- A focused light source may be used to activate the bleaching gel.
In-home teeth whitening is a less expensive, more gradual alternative done in the convenience of your own home.
- An impression is taken at your dentist’s office to create a customized tray specifically for your teeth.
- Once your trays are ready, your dentist will schedule an appointment with you to discuss proper treatment techniques for you to follow.
- Before starting your treatment, you need to make sure your mouth is clean with a full brushing, flossing, and rinsing program.
- Trays are typically worn for about an hour a day for two weeks. After the two weeks, a follow-up appointment will be held to go over your progress and discuss any necessary next steps.